Monday, November 05, 2007

MPH Interviews: 2 of 2 with Mark Gildea

During the season, I had a few opportunities to sit down and talk with Mark Gildea, who is playing in the Washing Nationals chain, and get his thoughts and observations on our prospects in Brooklyn. Mark played for the Vermont Lake Monsters, and hit .247/.362/.348/.710

Today, I'll post Mark's thoughts on Nick Waechter, who the Mets drafted in the 23rd round of the 2006 draft.

MPH: Tell me about Nick Waechter

Mark: He's a mad good pitcher. He throws a fastball, curveball, and either a forkball or sinker, but that's a weak offering. His fastball is great, and so is his curve.

MPH: How hard does he throw his fastball?

Mark: About 97 MPH. He's good, actually.

MPH: And his curve?

Mark: In the 81-84 range. He doesn't have a specific speed he throws his curve, we were all fooled because he threw it at varying speeds.

MPH: Thanks again for doing this.

Mark: No problem.

Edit: Just talked to Mark, and he did in fact tell me he meant 87, not 97, when talking about Nick's fastball. He also said: "oops, but I have seen him throw in the low 90s few times"

I apologize for that, I don't have access to the scout.com scouting reports.

4 comments:

  1. cant take a guy who uses the term "he's a mad good pitcher" serious

    ReplyDelete
  2. just read the article about him on scout.com, says he has a fastball in the the upper 80's..not quite 97?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like people who don't use the same boring language in interviews. "Mad good pitcher" is fine. And if you want to criticize someone for their use of language, how about capitalizing the first word of your sentence? And putting an apostrophe into your contractions?

    As for his stuff, I conducted these interviews online, so he very well could've meant to type 87 and hit 97 by mistake, I've been known to do that many times by mistake. I'll ask next time I see him if that's the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey fans! I apologize for the mistake, and a question: What's wrong with saying "A mad good pitcher"? I thought there's freedom of speech. Just teasing! Take it easy on me, I worked hard to be drafted. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete