Friday, October 17, 2008

Gee Adds To His Arsenal

Over the last couple of days we've been having conversations about Dillion Gee via the chatbox. I continue to stick with that Gee's ceiling is that of a 4th starter, due to no true out pitch, and see him as nothing more.

However, some of you feel he can be more, and I guess it comes from the dominance that he has shown in the minors. But realize, that these numbers are based more on Gee being able to keep these hitters off balance and control his pitches, then his stuff actually being considered good.

And there's nothing wrong with that, but once you get to the major league level you need a true out pitch, and having control of average pitches in the major leagues just means that you're around the plate, which makes it easier for the hitter to lock in on (think Ian Kennedy).

But, here's a good Gee article about the curveball that he developed this year and how it helped his progression.

...But in one season, Gee executed such valuable growth that it has significantly altered his standing among the organizations highest ranking prospects. That promising development can be singularly found in his curveball. He was sharp in his rookie season as he posted a 3-1 record with a 2.47 ERA and a dazzling 56/9 strikeout-to-walk ratio with Brooklyn in 2007, but to compete and win in St. Lucie, he knew adding a fourth pitch was imperative.

Alongside St. Lucie pitching coach Dan Murray, Gee found the feel and rhythm of the pitch. "I hadnt really thrown a curveball my entire life outside of just tinkering with it a little", said Gee. "But down in Florida, Coach Murray really helped me with it, get my finish and the down break on the curveball. I'd have to say Murray was the main contributing factor to the success of the curveball and really where I was headed this year".

The curveball helped establish him in the Florida State League as he posted a 3.82 ERA in the seasons first two months despite a 4-5 record for his struggling club. But the continued use and effectiveness of his curveball helped him peak in June when he posted a 3-0 record and 0.92 ERA. "I think adding my curveball early on in the year gave me that fourth pitch I can throw for a strike and really kept me going throughout the year, he added."

"Throughout the year, I just continued to attack hitters and throw strikes, what I'm always trying to do out there, but learning how to mix my breaking pitches is something I had to really learn.Early on in the season, my slider was not really a pitch I could control as much as a curveball. So when I needed to just throw strikes, I was using my curveball but in an 0-2 count when Id throw something in the dirt Id go to my slider. I really focused on pitch selection in different counts and that got me going."

His first stint is Double-A has also reinforced the confidence he gained while in St. Lucie. "When I got the call, I was really surprised but when I got up there and was working with [B-Mets pitching coach] Ricky Bones, he was preaching pretty much the same thing”stay low and throw strikes and thatâs what I did. Anytime you jump a level and do well, it proves to you that you belong there. What I was able to do to in Binghamton gave me confidence knowing I could succeed against better hitters and it all started with adding depth in St. Lucie, and I feel more confident that ever right now".

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen any of Gee's pitches?
    Pitchers simply can not live within the strike zone the way he does without excellent stuff.

    Also is there a way to view previous chats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pitchers simply can not live within the strike zone the way he does without excellent stuff."

    Huh? This was my EXACT point, that I stated in the article.

    ReplyDelete