Friday, June 27, 2008

A Little Reminiscing as We Hit a Milestone here on MPH...

You know, we recently hit 1,000 posts made by David and I (6/26 Minor League Report, which is below this post), and I was reminiscing about when/how/why we started this blog. Both of us started out on the mets.com boards in 2005, and I guess you could say that I "studied" under a poster named "Rapdog" who did daily minor league recaps. He took off at the tail end of the 05 season because that board is full of festering douchebags (took me a year after that to realize it), and I took over to finish out the 05 season. David and I first "met" during an AIM chat room I believe in August of 2005 (and we really haven't stopped talking since, we're really good friends now). We both had an ... interest in the minor leagues. He first came up with the idea for what would become MPH before the 2006 season, but I wasn't ready to go with it then. After doing daily minor league reports on mets.com for the 06 season, and subsequently seeing them go up in smoke because the mods there are pole smoking Nazi fucktards, David and I made a blog, and I came up with the name, MetsProspectHub.

When it first started, it was a blank white background with black text, and to top it off, I didn't even have my own account, I was using David's. It was archane to say the least, but we got a few things squared away inside of our first week or so. I got my own account the next day ;) Our first post was David's first top 10 list, Mike Carp was ranked 6th, Niese 7th. They're now our consensus 3/2 prospects, mostly due to trades of Gomez, Humber, Guerra, and the graduation of Pelfrey. My first top 10 list had Humber ranked ahead of Pelfrey, Fernando ranked 5th (!), and Carp/Niese 7/8, with Henry Owens 10th. Needless to say, we've since developed alot more knowledge, and understanding of the minors, and have branched out into distinct philosophies (I remember in the beginning, people would accuse us of agreeing on everything).

I'm not sure quite when it happened, but I started to take over the writing slowly but surely, and David sort of faded into the background, making tweaks to the blog, adding the whole run of widgets you see on the right side, making the blog much better on the eyes, and throwing together our first banner. I came up with the idea to do the System Audit as a way of really kickstarting the blog, and segewaying into our first regular season.

Reviewing some of those early 06/07 posts, can I toot my own horn a bit?
My Thoughts on Mike Pelfrey (May 2007)
Guess what he's done the last 4-5 starts to finally enjoy success in the majors? Oddly enough, our first post to garner 10 comments was a Gameday Links post from June 12th 2007 (because I asked who uses them, lol). And then on 6/14/07, a portent of things to come
The New York Mets Quit (June 2007)

So there's a look back at the blog and the point of view from Tejesh. David will edit this post later with his look back and horn tooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment